Twitter is one of the most popular social media platform which connects people. It is a microblogging platform, which allows registered users to post, and send to other registered users, short messages. These short messages, limited to 280 characters, are called Tweets.
Twitter is for the people who stay live in the moment. Whatever is shared or talked on twitter is at that particular moment. You can’t talk with someone about yesterday’s match or last month’s weather on twitter. It becomes obsolete on it.
Now who should be on twitter? People who love to know facts about current happenings, who stay in present and want to be updated on all the news, who loves to provide his/her opinion on something, who just likes to read etc.
Next, why should anyone be on Twitter?
- You find interesting people. Twitter is full of people with things to say, and you can listen.
- Breaking news. Even before news channel people witness and tweet news about recent happenings.
- As well as breaking news Twitter is a fine resource for tracking online trends. If a YouTube video is going viral then it will be getting shared on Twitter. If a new meme is spreading like wildfire then it will appear on Twitter.
- You get celebrity access. Celebrities love Twitter too. They post their current status, apparels, travel etc which people love to know about.
- Its character limit: 280 characters. If you don’t have time to read long stories twitter helps you to give short summaries about various events in 140 characters.
How to use Twitter?
Its pretty simple!
Unlike other social media platforms you have to first create twitter account with a unique username. Set profile and a bio. You may wish to list where you work, live, or a line from a favorite poem in your bio. This is the short blurb that lets potential followers know who you are and what you’re likely to tweet. Finish off your profile by uploading a background image—this appears at the top of your Twitter page.
Join a community, its like following your interests. You can do that by following hashtags which interest you in. Suppose I am passionate about digital marketing, I would choose advertising, social media, marketing hashtags. I will follow people and communities which are related to digital marketing.
Speak up. You have 280 characters. While that might seem too short to say anything substantive, it’s not. It might mean having to tweet multiple times to make a complex point, but boiling down your thoughts to a couple of lines really just makes your statement stronger, faster to read, and more shareable.
You need to know the lingo. Like ‘RT’ means retweet. An @, or a mention, is when you include somebody’s @twittername in the tweet. HT means “hat tip”. You can also direct message to the person you follow on twitter called as DM.
So if Twitter is that interesting and simple to use then why don’t people actually start to use it or find it difficult to handle?
- Because people don’t like to express through words. Facebook and Instagram are much popular than twitter as it involves more of pictorial representation like our pictures, stories etc. Most people just comment on each other’s posts.
- Admit it! Most of the young people are unaware of the current happenings. We don’t read news. That’s why people are not on twitter.
- As twitter is publicly open so we can follow any celebrity or famous people. But there is no control on twitter on comments of people. So people are insecure on twitter.
- Some people just like to read and watch the arguments. A lot of people said they were spending too much time watching arguments between people they didn’t know and weren’t quite sure how to join in. All of them regularly use some other form of social media.
The above are few reasons why people are afraid or not attracted towards twitter.
These reasons do not imply that twitter is not a great platform to use. Infact it’s amazing and treading. People should start using twitter to be updated always. Its good sometimes to engage into a conversation and give opinions. It is a useful platform which anyone can use it for free.
A freelancer who loves to read,learn and network. I love to challenge the creativity in me and feel passionate about experimenting my thoughts and trying new things!